After upgrading your Mac Operating System if you are having issues with your audio and/or the volume control is greyed out, please follow the steps below.
Method 1: Quit and restart the coreaudio process
1. Open Activity (Applications > Utilities > Activity )
2. Select ‘All Processes’ from the drop down menu next to the search bar (called ‘Filter:’) and type in ‘coreaudio’.
3. Select the process name and click the ‘Quit Process’ button at the top. Chose ‘Quit’ or ‘Force Quit’ from the resulting dialogue box.
The coreaudio process will automatically restart itself (if you look closely at the PID number in Activity Monitor you’ll notice it changes after you hit ‘Quit’) and your sound problems should be solved. If you continue to experience issues, please try the following steps under Method 2.
1. Open (Applications/Utilities/ ) and copy/paste this command into the Terminal window
then press ‘return’ on your keyboard.
2. Restart your mac and test.
If you still encounter an issue please check your audio configuration under Method 3.
1. Check your audio configuration under: /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI .
2. Make sure the window has the title Audio Devices, and click ‘Built in Output’ in the sidebar.
3. Uncheck any boxes under 'Mute' in the main panel. Are any of the boxes under ‘Mute’ in the main panel checked?
4. Make sure the format is set to 44100.0hz. If it is not please update it.
Try accessing your exam again without any issues with the microphone/audio. If you followed the above steps and continue to experience issues, kindly contact our support at 855-436-2039.